Skip main navigation

Military Health System

Clear Your Browser Cache

This website has recently undergone changes. Users finding unexpected concerns may care to clear their browser's cache to ensure a seamless experience.

Skip subpage navigation

Separation Health Assessment

Questions and answers about the Separation Health Assessment


Why are all service members required to get the SHPE before leaving active duty?


The DOD requires a separation history and physical examination (SHPE) to capture the complete medical history of service members and evaluate members filing a disability claim.

Results are accessible by both the DOD and VA so even if you’re not filing a VA claim now, the results are available if you decide to file a disability claim later.


How do I schedule the exam?


You can schedule the exam at any military hospital or clinic or VA facility. Find one near you:


If there’s any information missing from my record, how do I get it added?


You can view your health record on the TOL Patient Portal or the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, depending on what's being used where you get care.. If something’s missing, contact the provider that conducted the exam or ordered the lab work to ensure it gets added. All your health records are shared with the VA.


How do I file a VA disability claim?


You can file a VA disability claim through eBenefits, in person with a Veterans Service Organization, or with a VA representative at a military installation. Submit a copy of your Service Treatment Record (STR) from your current period of military service and any copies of private treatment records not associated with TRICARE referrals. For more information on VA disability benefits, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit the VA’s website.

Last Updated: April 23, 2024
Follow us on Instagram Follow us on LinkedIn Follow us on Facebook Follow us on X Follow us on YouTube Sign up on GovDelivery